Home News Contact Us
HMH Operations Manager Job Announcement 01 25 2017
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives
Title: Operations Manager
Location: Administration, Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, 553 South King St., Honolulu, HI
Status: Full-time with benefits, exempt
Opening Date: February 1, 2017
Closing Date: Until position filled
Reports to: Executive Director and works collaboratively with all staff
Supervises: This position supervises the Housekeeper plus Groundskeeper and Maintenance Technician, and advises the executive director on performance, hiring, and firing these positions.
This position exists to oversee and provide assistance for the general operations of the historic site. This position assigns and coordinates work with the maintenance staff and works with them when necessary. The incumbent oversees the security system, including the alarm and video systems and responds to all security issues, including nighttime alarms. The incumbent provides support to the program staff as necessary to set up for public programs. The incumbent will also cross-train to provide backup support for interpretive tours, the Archives Reading Room during lunch breaks as needed, the Gift Shop and lunch breaks as needed, assistance to the Objects Collections Curator in moving objects, and other direct public contact positions as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
1. Oversees the general maintenance of the grounds and facilities.
2. Oversees the security system; monitors and responds to all alarms.
3. Participates in the cyclical maintenance review and recording of the historic and modern structures.
4. Provides assistance to staff in all areas of the operations, including maintenance, Archives Reading Room, Gift Shop, and Objects Collections Curator, Interpretive Tours, special events, and so on.
5. Assist in developing and then manage assigned projects.
6. Cross-training is important, as assistance to Reading Room, Gift Shop, and Interpretive Tours may take the form of providing lunch break, vacation relief, or other fill-in responsibilities.
7. Does the refreshment inventory and shopping, using own personal vehicle, as necessary for special event refreshments and food as requested.
8. Purchases maintenance materials as needed, using personal vehicle.
9. Assists Public Program staff with setup and takedown of special event tents, tables, chairs, and so on.
10. Assists the executive director with board meetings as requested.
11. Supervise staff in absence of executive director.
12. Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Bachelor of Arts degree in Humanities, such as History, American Studies, Museum Studies, or related Liberal Arts degree.
HMH Operations Manager Job Announcement 01 25 2017
2. Prior management experience desired.
3. Knowledge of nineteenth-century American and Hawaiian history preferred.
4. Must understand and have experience with museum or historic site operations.
5. Must understand and have some experience with historic restoration.
6. He/she should understand building systems, including climate control, electrical, security, and so on.
7. He/she should be familiar with landscaping maintenance, including lawn care, shrubs and flowers, and tree maintenance.
8. Must have strong organizational skills.
9. Exceptional computer skills with a wide range of software facility, especially Word and Excel. Ability to assist in troubleshooting as needed for a small computer network is a plus.
10. Demonstrated ability to manage projects whose goals, steps, and milestones have been established by the executive director, but then effectively manage the process to achieve a successful result.
11. Professional demeanor and ability to interact comfortably with museum supporters, senior staff, and general public is essential.
12. Excellent interpersonal skills; diplomatic and discreet in handling confidential material; welcoming, kind, and respectful to all; ability to communicate, listen, compromise, and collaborate.
13. Excellent verbal skills and the ability to write clearly and do minor editing is essential.
14. Organized and efficient in managing his or her own time.
15. Ability to lift and carry 75 pounds.
16. Must have own car and a valid drivers’ license and ability to pick-up supplies with it.
17. A team player who supports a mission-driven, non-profit history organization.
18. A good sense of humor.
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives located in Honolulu’s Historic Capitol District, is the leading authority on Protestant missionary history in Hawaiʻi, and is known worldwide as the place where the Hawaiian written language was developed through the collaborative efforts of the missionaries, the ali‘i—the Hawaiian royalty—and the Hawaiian people. It preserves the two oldest documented houses in Hawai‘i, which were built and used by missionaries in the early nineteenth century, and the largest collection of Hawaiian language books in the world.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter stating why you are applying and how you are qualified for this position, and include your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Operations Manager” on the subject line.
Sitemap | Terms