Home News Contact Us
The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a full time Director of Estate Operations at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan. Once home to Charles Stewart Mott and his family, Applewood Estate dates back to 1916. The estate is now owned and operated by the Ruth Mott Foundation and consists of award-winning gardens, historic buildings, and collections of art, artifacts, archives, and photographs.
Job Posting: Director of Estate Operations
Job Purpose: Responsible for operational and supervisory aspects of the Applewood estate. Promotes environmentally friendly best practices and strives to reduce risk. Works closely with all departments and Foundation Administration to shape programs and events that balance use with stewardship to best utilize Applewood’s resources to support the Foundation’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees and coordinates estate maintenance, security and safety activities to preserve and protect Applewood including its buildings, grounds, living collections and systems while supporting estate uses. Systems include irrigation, outdoor electrical, pools and fountains, greenhouse heating and cooling, outdoor lighting, maintenance facility, main house and gatehouse heating, cooling and plumbing, as well as walks, driveways and parking lots.
2. Prepares and manages budgets including inventory, approval and purchase of all supplies and equipment needed for estate operations, systems maintenance and safety.
3. Directs, evaluates, and supervises horticulture and security department employees and contractors to care for Applewood including its buildings, grounds, living collections and systems.
4. Oversees management of working records such as security reports, plant purchases, pesticide and fertilizer applications, landscape designs, plant records and estate maintenance operations.
5. Coordinates with other departments and Foundation Administration to design Applewood’s programs and events to minimize impact to the estate while supporting the Foundation’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan. Schedules and oversees horticulture and security department assignments to support estate events and assist with set-up, tear-down and evaluation.
6. Oversees horticulture technical assistance to the community and RMF staff, grantees, volunteers and guests. Shares expertise through presentations, workshops and guided Applewood tours highlighting horticulture and estate history.
7. Represents the organization with external audiences as required.
8. Prepares reports and materials for the President and members of the Board of Trustees.
9. Participates in Foundation management/leadership team through participation in weekly “Managers’ Circle” team meetings to discuss management and leadership issues.
10. Assists with the development and implementation of Foundation initiatives, including master planning, strategic planning, diversity and inclusion, and other studies, audits, and projects as requested by the President.
Essential Physical and Work Environment Demands:
Ability to travel up and down stairs and ladders; bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in varying temperatures and weather conditions. Must be able to work at least 40 hours a week including some evenings and weekends. Must have reliable transportation and the ability to travel to and from Applewood to the Foundation Administration Office as well as into the community for meetings and events.
Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are as economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to Resumes@ruthmott.org
Sitemap | Terms