Home News Contact Us
Tippecanoe County Historical Association
Title: Program and Membership Director
Work Hours: Full-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Nature of Work:
Program and Membership Director plans, organizes, and implements the Association’s educational programs (including school tours and the two school days prior to the annual Feast of the Hunters’ Moon,) special events, fundraising events, and membership activities. They will also track the organizations membership and oversee the distribution of the quarterly newsletter. The Program and Membership Director directs and manages the flow of the program’s overall focus and acts as a liaison to all employees and volunteers involved in the operation of the program. Duties also include marketing, grant writing and fundraising for the programs and events to reach and draw in the target audiences. The director will also oversee all social media for the organization. Work takes place both inside and outside year-round and employee must be able to work occasional weekends or evenings. The Program and Membership Director will also participate in living history activities that include (but are not confined to) the Colonial period, 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe/War of 1812 period, and the Civil War.
1. Develop and recommend to the Executive Director plans, procedures, and improvements relating to current and new educational programs
2. Prepare and maintain records and reports including school program visitation.
3. Research and identify potential sponsors for both educational and special events.
4. Actively solicit sponsors and donations for programs.
5. Conduct tours for school age groups and adults both on and offsite.
6. Performs public living history programs once a month during the tourist season.
7. Coordinate the History on Tour program activities by developing theme programs and activities in conjunction with other staff and volunteers, schedule exhibit venues, transport the truck and trailer to and from said venues, and arrange for adequate personnel to operate the Tour exhibit during open hours.
8. Coordinate two school days as part of the annual Feast of the Hunters’ Moon festival and serves on the Feast Steering Committee.
9. Prepare monthly, annual and other reports and studies as required;
10. Processes membership renewals and new membership applications using PastPerfect software.
11. Promotes membership subscription at events.
12. Works with Membership Committee to increase and retain members.
13. Plan, gather articles, edit and publish membership newsletter.
14. Performing other duties as assigned.
Essential skills, knowledge and ability:
1. Demonstrated ability and experience as leader, educator, and organizer;
2. Excellent driving record, able to learn to drive a pick-up truck with a 16’ trailer;
3. Experience in developing and offering workshops, public programs, living history, and fundraising events.
4. Living history experience
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members of staff, vendors, and volunteers;
6. Demonstrated ability to use current technology including social media effectively and acquire new technology skills as needed;
7. Writing, editing and production of print and web publications;
8. Ability to solve problems and make decisions effectively, both independently and collaboratively
9. Effective verbal and written communication skills;
10. Able to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines;
11. Ability to work and communicate well with others.
12. Flexibility and an ability to prioritize tasks and follow through without close supervision.
· College degree in history, public history, museum science or related field
· Excellent keyboarding skills
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly Word and Excel
· Ability to communicate clearly and descriptively both in written and verbal platforms
· Willingness to expand one’s own knowledge of professional museum practices and procedures through reading, attendance at workshops, etc.
· Must have automobile, valid driver’s license, and willingness to travel as needed
· Willingness to drive a pick-up truck with the History on Tour trailer attached.
· Pass a state and Federal background check
· Living history experience
· Experience in the nonprofit sector, either paid or volunteer, especially in a museum, historical society, or public service agency.
· Experience with PastPerfect or even other relational database software programs such as Access or Fox Pro
Salary & Benefits:
· Salary is $30,000 per year.
· Benefits include nine holiday days, eleven days personal time off per year after probationary period.
· Health benefits offered and TCHA pays 80% of the monthly premiums.
· Simple IRA retirement match up to 3% of annual compensation.
Please mail a cover letter and resume to:
The Tippecanoe County Historical Association
Attention: Craig Hadley, Executive Director
1001 South Street
Lafayette, Indiana 47901
Or email it to:
Subject line “Program & Membership Director”
Direct any questions to Craig Hadley at the email supplied above.
Sitemap | Terms